Sunday, June 21, 2009

A visit with my niece

Today was a big day, I was going to see my niece for the first time. I was nervous. What would she think of me? Would she like me? What if she didn't like me? First impressions are important. I couldn't afford to leave anything to chance.

After I got dressed, I dropped Karen off at her place so that she could take a nap while I continued to St. Laurent Shopping Centre to see if I could find something for my niece (who I hear has very particular tastes).

After wandering around for about an hour, through the aisles at Baby 'R Us and Sears, I happened upon a set of bibs at the latter location that I thought were nice. Each one had a different word inscribed on the front in bright letters: 'Adorable', 'Too Cute', and 'Spoiled'.




On my way out, I picked up some 'General Thai' and 'General Curry' from Thai Express. I arrived at Karen's place to find her on the couch, awoken only seconds earlier from her nap by the sound of the door opening. We sat down and had lunch and departed soon afterwards for our visit.

We arrived at Jeff and Namgyal's place and were greeted by Jeff, the new dad. I presented him with a bouquet of flowers that we picked up on the way there, jokingly saying that they were for him, and not for Namgyal. He saw right through my ruse.





My mom and her sister were there, visiting from Montreal, as was Namgyal's mom, visiting from Trenton, who has been staying with them to help prepare for the baby. Within moments of arriving, I was cradling Tenlha in my arms.

We spent the better part of the afternoon there, talking, eating cookies and cake, drinking non-alcoholic sparkling wine and Ginger Ale. We took several pictures and we presented the new mom and dad with gifts which they opened with delight.

Most importantly, we spent time with Tenlha.

No comments:

Post a Comment