Monday, November 30, 2009

The Bachelor Life

With Karen away in France, I have reverted back to my bachelor ways. These ways do not involve the 'typical bachelor guy' stuff like leaving my clothes on the floor and not doing dishes. Rather, they involve watching a lot of movies and television, and doing a lot of cleaning and organizing.

Most notably, I've been watching Band of Brothers. The series was created by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. It is really well written and tells the true story of a group a paratroopers from Easy Company during WWII. Each episode begins with real accounts by the actual paratroopers (then in their 20's and 30's, now in their 80's and 90's). My brother introduced me to it; he bought me the box set on Blu-Ray for Christmas one year. Anyway, I've watched eight of the ten episodes in the past week. That's quite a time investment considering that each episode is an hour long. I've also been downloading a lot of movies and watching those.

I have always spent a lot of time cleaning and organizing. I enjoy it. Karen and I are well settled into our new place, but there are still a few things on the to-do list. That is another thing. I love making to-do lists. It's part of my organizational nature. Anyway, one of the things on our to-do list is to put up the drapes in our bedroom. We picked up the materials, but as it turns out, it's a much more involved process than that; requiring a trip to Home Depot and to Canadian Tire (which I don't mind at all - Canadian Tire is my mecca). So, if all goes well, I will cross that item of the list tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Putting drapes up at the apartment was really tough for me. I got it done but it was really hanging down badly cause I couldn't get the screws in very deep. I would tell everyone just to please not touch it or it will fall.

    I saw Band of Brothers when it was on tv, it was real good. My favourite episode was the anxiety riddled blond kid who (I don't remember if it is left up to the viewer to interpret or not if he is faking) is temporarily blind.

    If I went to war I'd shoot myself in the foot, or fake blindness for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that the ceilings were drywall, so I went out to Canadian Tire and bought drywall anchors. But when I went to install them, I discovered that the ceilings are actually concrete. So tonight, I'm going back to Canadian Tire to get concrete screws.

    Yeah, I saw the one that you're talking about. The guy was really freaked out by everything.

    Brave man.

    ReplyDelete